Last Updated on
Today, there are a huge number of pilates techniques that allow you to get rid of extra pounds and support the body in good physical shape. One of them is classic pilates for weight loss, which is gaining momentum at a frantic pace.
Initially, pilates was used for rehabilitation. With the help of it, athletes and dancers recovered from injuries. The complex proved to be so effective that it began to be practiced in everyday sports life. The number of people involved in Pilates is growing, and the number of trainers who teach it is growing. What is the essence of the technique and is it really so good for losing weight?
The essence of the Pilates system and its basic principles
Pilates, as the direction of fitness, is a complex of exercises aimed at strengthening and restoring all muscle groups. It not only increases the overall muscle tone, but also restores immunity, improves posture, coordination and balance. And all thanks to the fact that the pilates system is based on the verified physical elements and the special breathing technique.
The main thing in Pilates is not the number of exercises, but their quality. Many have become accustomed to the fact that for weight loss you need to engage in an intense pace before the seventh sweat. Pilates is a completely different, but no less effective, direction. At first it may even seem boring, so all elements are executed slowly and thoroughly. But the result will not take long. Read about exercises on the step platform.
Absolutely every element is associated with muscle tension, which makes them strong and supple. Musculature in the training process works evenly, strengthening absolutely all muscles, and not making their strong part even stronger, and the weak part is weaker.
Pilates is the conscious control of breathing, tension and relaxation, this is work and concentration on each element.
Many people choose pilates for weight loss, since it helps to lose extra pounds without heavy loads, which not everyone can shoulder. Pilates is necessary and actively involved in people, because only slow exercises can strengthen the internal muscles.
Pilates is also recommended to people:
- having poor posture and problems with the spine;
- suffering from heart disease;
- older age;
- with a weakened body;
- pregnant and after childbirth.
The most important principles, which in no case can not be neglected, are:
- Centering. Whatever exercise you do, all muscles must be tense: the stomach is pulled up, the back is stretched out into a string.
- Concentration. It is necessary to concentrate on each element and do it with all the impact.
- Control. There must be control over all the muscles, not just those that work in this or that exercise.
- Accuracy. The body must form one straight line, nothing should break symmetry.
- Breath. Exercise should be performed in the rhythm of the middle chest breathing. The breath should be deep through the nose, exhale through the mouth.
- Extension. In the process of training, the spine should always be stretched, the shoulder blades are brought together, and the shoulders are lowered.
The use and contraindications of pilates
Pilates is a universal training system. It is shown absolutely to everyone: healthy, after injuries, childbirth and even during pregnancy. Today, on the habitual trainings on the floor, trainings on fitball, with dumbbells and shock absorbers come. And Pilates for weight loss has resulted in a separate direction: a carefully designed set of exercises allows burning up to 600 calories. This is almost twice as much as the classic Pilates.
- in the training process, you must always pull the navel to the spine – and this is a strong press;
- the complex aligns the spine, which leads to a reduction in back pain, including lumbar spine, and straightening of the posture;
- training tightens the entire body, making it slim and embossed without pumped muscles;
- exercises increase the mobility and flexibility of the joints, and also make the muscles elastic.
- deep and controlled breathing will relieve depression and insomnia, and also help to better feel your body;
- the system of exercises is aimed at harmonizing the spirit and mind, so the positive attitude and excellent mood are guaranteed;
- training contributes to the expenditure of large amounts of energy and reduces appetite;
- elements from Pilates give self-confidence – the spine will become elongated, the belly tightened, and the body light and free.
- training helps to reduce pressure;
- improves heart function;
- normalizes metabolic processes;
- improves blood circulation.
- training is absolutely safe and is shown even after injuries;
- there are programs for working with pregnant women and after childbirth;
- They can be engaged both beginners and prepared, and of any age category;
- great for pilates for losing weight at home – having studied the complex, you can comfortably do at home without significant expenditure on sports equipment;
- training is suitable for people with overweight.
Contraindications to training
Despite the huge benefits, not everyone can practice Pilates. Restrictions are for persons:
- With a pronounced catarrhal disease accompanied by fever.
- Have malignant and benign neoplasms.
- Suffering from a clinical disorder of the psyche.
- Have a spinal injury.
- They have incompletely cured injuries and fractures.
In any case, if you know that you have any health problems or other circumstances (for example, pregnancy), it is better to consult with a specialist before starting workouts. Perhaps, instead of removing from training, a special sparing set of exercises will be given.
Comparison Pilates and Yoga
Yoga and Pilates – two such similar directions of fitness and at the same time so different.
What is the similarity?
- Balance training by strengthening all muscle groups simultaneously is the main direction of both types of training.
- Both disciplines are aimed at harmonizing the mind and body.
- The lack of power in training and the need for long training for a tangible result.
- Absence of rapid movements and numerous repetitions in the elements of the techniques.
- In both systems, a special role is given to breathing.
- You can find many similar poses, similar and the technique of doing exercises.
- It is not recommended to independently learn both techniques: to start better with an instructor.
- The final result of training is similar: correct posture, flexibility of muscles and joints, weight loss.
Differences between methods
Despite the seeming similarity, the drills differ in essence and inward orientation, as well as their organization. The degree of participation of the mind in the training process is also different. What else?
- Pilates is aimed at strengthening the muscles, and yoga on their stretching.
- The breathing technique in yoga, in addition to oxygen filling the muscles, as in Pilates, helps to control your body.
- Pilates is based on unstable dynamic movements, and yoga consists of asanas – a series of static poses.
Yoga is a whole philosophy, a path that helps to know oneself and penetrate into one’s consciousness. This is the balance between the physical and spiritual state. Each element requires understanding and comprehension. You have to be ready to work on yourself, on your emotions. Peace and positive attitude – the main tandem, necessary for yoga.
Pilates – helps to establish contact with your body, tighten and strengthen all the muscles. Here emphasis is placed on the physical condition of a person and on the improvement of the body. You can say that yoga trains the spirit, and Pilates – the body. It is not possible to say which method is better. You need to try each and decide for yourself what is more important: the mind or body.
Recommendations for Beginners
Like any training, Pilates for weight loss requires a competent approach. Next, we prepared a series of recommendations for beginners:
- Begin to master the technique better with the instructor, while you need to make sure of his competence. The specialist should monitor the practitioners and monitor the proper technique of performing the exercises.
- The group should be chosen based on its level of preparation. Do not go to classes for advanced if you are just starting out. Pilates is different from other types of fitness, so even if you have the experience of strength training in the beginning, you need to try a new direction.
- After mastering the technique, you can continue to study in the home environment, the good choice of online training for different levels of preparedness is great.
- During the execution of the elements, it is necessary to be concentrated and collected. Remember: the main thing here is not quantity, but quality. Each element must be performed accurately and technically.
- Pilates requires regularity: for effective training, you need at least 3-4 training sessions per seven-day period.
- Watch your body: the muscles of the press should be strained at all times, the rest – only when the element is performed on these muscle groups.
- Watch your breath. Since the stomach should always be drawn in, it is necessary to breathe with the breast.
- All movements should be smooth, avoid sudden movements.
- Follow the workout plan clearly: do not change the exercise in some places.
Do not wait for an instant result. Pilates takes a long and systematic approach.
In addition to strengthening the muscles, Pilates increases the tone of the body and tightens the muscle tissue. The system does not introduce the body into stress due to a large loss of body weight. The program works for the future, it helps not only to lose weight, but also warns against the appearance of new fat deposits after the end of the training course, due to which there is a decrease in body weight when practicing pilates.
The effectiveness of pilates for weight loss
- Deep breathing has a beneficial effect on the metabolism, it leads him to a normal state, due to which the body begins to work as a clock.
- Muscles through a gradual and systematic elaboration increase in volume. This leads to burning of excess fat, which prevents build muscle mass.
- By toning the muscular system, calories are burned a few hours after the training.
- A systematic approach to pilates normalizes appetite, which is very important when losing weight.
Pilates helps not only to remove fat in the right places, but also to increase it in the missing ones. And by improving blood circulation, the body gets rid of excess fluid, which also affects its mass. Therefore, the feedback and results from Pilates for weight loss are impressive.
Complex exercises for different parts of the body
In the arsenal of methods more than five hundred different exercises that work on different parts of the body.
Elements of Pilates on the abdomen
Press is studied throughout the training, as it should always be in a state of tension. The most effective exercises that work on the abdominal muscles are:
- lying on your back, lifting straight legs up and reaching out to them with your hands;
- modifying the previous element, raising the legs and arms above, as a result, we are at the fifth point and stay in this position;
- We return to the back and raise our legs in the knees, slowly stretching towards them with the opposite elbow (hands are located behind the head).
Exercises for weight loss of buttocks and thighs
We get on all fours and slowly follow the following movements first one, then the other foot:
- lift up a straight leg;
- we bend the leg to the side, bent at the knee;
- do the “hammer”.
Well work the buttocks and hips squats: slowly crouch, dilating the legs widely to the sides or placing them on the width of the shoulders.
The gluteal bridge is another effective exercise in combating excess fat in the buttock area. We lay on the back, bend the legs in the knees and lift the lower part of the body. Modify the movement by adding kneading and breeding.
Pilates for slimming legs and arms
Movements should also be slow and smooth. The mahi can be from a standing position, lying on your back or on your side. To strengthen the calves, stand on your toes and go back. You can enhance the effect by making the element in the squat. Simultaneously, the buttocks are also being worked on. Arms can be worked out through normal push-ups. We work out both from the knees and from the straight legs. In the future we are supported on one hand, the second we place behind the back.
Fifteen-minute exercise complex for every day
Exercises are as follows:
|Initial position||Motion||What works|
|Lying on the back, legs bent at the knees, hands on the belly||We take a deep breath and inflate the stomach, with exhalation we strongly contract the muscles of the press||Abdominal muscles|
|Similar, but put your hands behind your head||Raise the top of the body to the knees||Abdominal muscles|
|Now the legs bent at the knees are raised above the floor||We are drawing our hands to our feet||Abdominal muscles|
|Similar to the previous one, palms are placed on your knees||Raise your hands up and describe the circle||Press, back, hands|
|Tear off the legs from the floor||We pull one knee to ourselves, helping ourselves with our hands||Press, back|
|Similar to the previous one, we start the hands behind the head||We pull the opposite elbow to the bent leg||Press, back, legs|
|We lay relaxed on the back, raise our hands upwards||Trying to lift the body to the feet||Press, back|
|From the “lying” position, we raise the straight legs upwards||Raise hands and upper body, do swing hands||Press, back, hands|
|Similar to the previous||We embrace one leg in the knee and pull ourselves||Press, back, legs|
|We lay on the back, straight legs and hands on the floor||With one foot we begin to draw a circle in one and in the other side||Legs, press|
|Similar to the previous||Pull the knee towards you and tilt it sideways through the other leg||Oblique muscles of the press|
|Lay on the side||Make legs with legs||Legs|
|We rise on all fours||Doing mahi prone and knees bent at the knees||Legs, buttocks|
|We lay down on the stomach||Raise your legs and arms and do mahi||Back|
|We turn on the spin||We stand in a pose of birches and freeze for a while||Back, legs, buttocks, press|
Pilates is a very effective complex for both weight loss and general health improvement. All exercises are carried out slowly, due to which all the muscle groups are studied, even deep ones. This effect is not given by any intensive training, which allows you to quickly burn fat, but it acts briefly. Pilates is also shown in cases of limited physical activity: during recovery from injuries, during pregnancy and after it. It helps to gradually bring the body back to normal and begin a more intensive training.